Any blockchain that generates a new address every time you want to receive a transaction is using the UTXO protocol (ex. BTC, BCH, LTC etc) and you will need to find the xpub key for it in order to import all transactions automatically.
Note that your xpub key is different for every single blockchain so you will need to export it separately for all coins that you are transacting with. Some wallets will show you your xpub easily while others dont show it at all. You can always use your recovery phrase to figure out the xpub key for any wallet. More on this at the end of this tutorial.
Blockchains that do NOT need an xpub:
- Ethereum (ETH) and any tokens stored on your ETH address. All ETH wallets such as Metamask etc will show you your ETH public address which starts with 0x, just enter that in Koinly.
- Ripple, Cardano, Algorand, ARK, BNB, Cosmos (ATOM), Ethereum Classic, Icon (ICX), Lisk, Nano, NEM, NEO, Ontology, Tezos, Tron, VeChain, Waves
For these blockchains just find your public address from any of your transactions and enter it on Koinly.
Learn more: https://support.enjin.io/help/xpub-address
- Click on Settings > Export keys. If you dont see this option try Account details
Wallets that do not provide xpub keys:
- BRD (Bread wallet)
- Coinbase Wallet
For these wallets you can use the recovery phrase method described below.
Generating your xpub key from your recovery phrase
This method is recommended for wallets that don't show you your xpub keys.
WARNING: This method involves your Recovery Phrase so you should ensure that you are using a safe browser and taking every safety precaution.
- Find your recovery phrase, this is usually the 12 word password you received when setting up your wallet.
- Visit https://iancoleman.io/bip39/ (For added security you can Right click anywhere on the page and click "Save page as" then save it to your desktop and disconnect from the internet. After that close your browser and open the file you just downloaded. This is an offline version of the webpage)
- Enter the phrase in the BIP39 Mnemonic field
- Select the Coin that you want to generate the xpub for.
- Now select the BIP 44 tab under Derivation path if your wallet is BIP44 compliant (most wallets are) or BIP32 tab if it is not (ex. BRD wallet)
- For BRD wallet: Enter m/0' in the BIP32 Derivation Path field
- For BIP44 wallets: Copy the Account Extended Public Key. This is your xpub.
- For BIP32 wallets: Copy the BIP32 Extended Public Key. This is your xpub.
- Repeat the process for all other coins in your wallet (just need to change the Coin field, the others are the same)
Once you have your xpub, just create a synced wallet on Koinly and enter your key into it.
Can't see any data when entering the xpub?
If you followed the above instructions on generating the xpub from recovery phrase but are not seeing any data when you enter the key into Koinly, it means that the generated xpub is not correct. This can happen if your wallet uses a non-standard derivation path for generating your Bitcoin addresses. You can find common derivation paths on this website.