We recommend that you import your transactions using either auto-sync (API) or CSV/Excel files that you have downloaded from the exchange itself.
If this is not possible you have two options:
- Create a custom CSV file with all your transactions - this is ideal if you have a lot of transactions
- Add transactions manually via Koinly - when you only have a handful of transactions.
Adding a Deposit / Withdrawal
Adding a Trade
Which transaction type should you select?
For incoming transactions (deposits / airdrops / forks / income / reward etc)
Select Deposit and change the transaction type to classify it as something else (if necessary). Enter the date and time of the transaction along with the coin symbol and the number of coins received.
For outgoing transactions (withdrawals / costs / gifts / donations etc)
Select Withdrawal and change the transaction type to classify it as something else (if necessary). Enter the date and time of the transaction along with the coin symbol and the number of coins sent.
For trades / buys / sells
- If you are purchasing crypto using fiat then you have the option to choose between a Deposit or a Trade. The difference is that, if you choose a Deposit, you will need to set the worth to the fiat amount you paid for it and if you add a Trade you will need to set the Sent Currency/Amount to the fiat amount. Both of these methods will result in the exact same tax report.
- If you are selling crypto for fiat then you have the option to choose between a Withdrawal and a Trade. For Withdrawals just set the worth to the fiat amount you received for your crypto. If you prefer a Trade - you will need to enter the fiat amount in the Received Currency/Amount field. Both of these methods will result in the same tax report.
- For crypto to crypto just select Trade and enter the traded amounts. Optionally set the worth to the value of the coins on the date of the transaction. Leave it blank to use the market price (fetched by Koinly automatically).
For transfers between your own wallets
We don't recommend adding a transfer manually as it can result in double entries if one of your wallets already has a deposit or withdrawal entry for it.
Instead you should look for an existing deposit/withdrawal in Koinly and change it to a Transfer.
Refer to this article to learn how Koinly handles transfers.